SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2013

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2013 17:18:20 +0200
On Sun, 5 May 2013, Paul Robert Marino wrote:

> Elrepo is your problem they often push untested updated drivers.
> Use the drivers that came with the kernel they may not have all the features but they should work.
> Do not install kmod-8169.

At ELRepo we actually advise people to use the drivers that come with
SL/RHEL/CentOS/ if those work fine. But we do provide alternative
drivers (usually from the hardware vendor or a more recent kernel) for
those people who lack support from their distribution and do need working
hardware.

So I'd expect anyone turning to ELRepo for drivers to have an issue with
the official drivers in one way or the other.

But it's true we don't (and cannot) test every driver against the myriad
of hardware that it supports, and in those cases people request drivers we
do have a staging repository for testing those drivers. On the other hand
one would expect drivers from the vendor to be tested by the vendor.

Whatever the case, we provide an alternative, we don't force our drivers
onto anyone. So if ELRepo is your problem, it must have been
self-inflicted :)

--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/