SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2013

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2013 18:02:07 +0200
On 27/03/13 16:25, Florian La Roche wrote:
>> And yeah,  as I thought given TUV stance on things:
>
> Some sort of side-repo testing rpm fo the newest e2fsprogs-release
> would be cool. There have been so many bug-fixes and actually so many
> performance-fixes that I wondered if there is enough interest for a few
> people who admin "real big filesystems" to start using it...

Performance fixes are generally hitting the kernel, at least that's
where the performance will really hit all users.  And those will
normally be added to the kernel, not e2fsprogs.

Otherwise, all important fixes to ext4 in the kernel or e2fsprogs will
be backported into the TUV's packages if deemed needed and the risk for
data loss is considered low enough.  But if any patch may increase the
risk of data or performance loss, they will not be part of an updated
package.

But that's why we all love Enterprise Linux, right?  We've been given a
rock solid and stable OS, which will stay so for many years forward -
due to this conservatism and thorough testing done by TUV.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth