SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:57:13 -0700
In keeping with the customs of this list, I am appending the current
situation on the bottom of this list response.
On 03/14/2013 06:15 AM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
> On 03/13/2013 06:57 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:

>>> Since Scientific Linux 6 and CentOS 6 are so similar, the CentOS wiki
>>> content is applicable:
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/PluginsFor64BitFirefox
>>>
>>> I am personally running 64-bit Firefox and the Sun/Oracle Java 17
>>> (CentOS 6.4 x86_64, fully updated this morning):
>>>
>>> [lowen@dhcp-pool146 ~]$ java -version
>>> java version "1.7.0_17"
>>> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_17-b02)
>>> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
>>> [lowen@dhcp-pool146 ~]$ rpm -qa|grep firefox
>>> firefox-17.0.3-1.el6.centos.x86_64
>>> [lowen@dhcp-pool146 ~]$ rpm -qa|grep jre
>>> jre-1.7.0_17-fcs.x86_64
>>> [lowen@dhcp-pool146 ~]$
>>>
>>>  From about:plugins in Firefox:
>>> +++++++++++++++++++++++
>>> Enabled plugins
>>> Find more information about browser plugins at mozilla.org.
>>> Find updates for installed plugins at mozilla.com/plugincheck.
>>> Help for installing plugins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org.
>>> Java(TM) Plug-in 1.7.0_17
>>>
>>>      File: libnpjp2.so
>>>      Version:
>>>      Java plug-in for NPAPI-based browsers.
>>> +++++++++++++++++++++++
>>>
>>> I've attached a jpg of the run on the Oracle java testing page......
>>> (might not make it to the list, so copying directly to Yasha).
>>>
>>> The instructions pointed to by the CentOS wiki page at
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment worked here, as far
>>> as I remember, since it has been a few months since I initially got it
>>> working.
>>>
>>> Oracle's docs are wrong about 64 bit Firefox and the 64-bit plugin for
>>> applets.  I haven't tried Webstart, so don't know if that works or not.
>>> I seem to remember some things being a pain to find (the Java console,
>>> perhaps, to be able to clear the java cache?), but it works for the
>>> applets I need.
>>>
>>> I don't know why the Oracle docs still say that the 32-bit plugin and
>>> browser is required; I haven't experienced any issues with the applets
>>> that I have run.  And mixing in the 32-bit stuff really complicates
>>> things.
>>>

>> From: http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/PluginsFor64BitFirefox
>>
>> Note: CentOS-5 ships with java-1.6.0-openjdk but the x86_64
>> java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin package is missing. There is still no native
>> Java plugin for CentOS-6.
>>
>> End quote.
>>
>> We are using SL 6x x86-64, presumably "the same" as CentOS 6,  as both
>> are direct ports of TUV EL6.  It is claimed on the above URL that
>> there is no native Java plugin for CentOS 6, although your experience
>> with the Oracle 64bit Java package indicates that there is such a plugin.
>
> SL6 ships with icedtea-web on x86_64.  This is a java plugin for web
> browsers.
>
> I can't speak to the Oracle side of things, but there is a native java
> plugin for x86_64 in SL.

> [...]

Afrer various experiments (attempts) to get things working, we settled
upon the following:

1.  At least one application we needed required Oracle ("Sun") Java and
had not been tested with the open systems distro java and in fact
rejected such a java under direct tests.  Because another application
required javac for certain capabilities, we downloaded the current
installable executables of jdk in compressed tar format for both IA-32
and X86-64.

2.  We downloaded the current production Mozilla Firefox x86-64 at a
compressed tar file, not the SL6 distro version.  The decision to use
current production Firefox over the distro "stable enterprise" version
was made after significant internal discussion evaluating the issue.  I
can outline the reasoning behind our conclusion under a separate list
thread if there is interest.

3.  We also downloaded the current production Google Chrome x86-64.

4.  With all of these under SL6x X86-64, we were able to get java and
javascript operational within both Chrome and Firefox using the x86-64
Oracle installation files for executables.

5.  Within /etc/alternatives, we had to make the jre and java point to
those from the Oracle distribution, not the SL6x distro.  In principle,
an appropriate shell environment for execution of non-SL6x targeted
applications (e.g., not from SL6x, elrepo, etc.) should have avoided the
necessity of this step, but simply modifying /etc/alternatives was
faster and simpler.

However, not all of the plugins that we probably want seem to be
available in x86-64.

Here is a list of what I have under IA-32 Firefox under SL-6x IA-32 from
Tools to Add-ons to Plugins:

Adobe Reader 9.4

Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible

iTunes Applicatiun Detector

]ava(TM) Plug-in 1.7.0_17

QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0

Shockwave Flash 11.1 r1

VLC Multimedia Plugin (compatible Totem 2.28.5)

Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)

At this point, the Java plugin is available and functioning in native
x86-64.
Are any of the other plugins available?
Is there a Firefox plugin "wrapper" that will run the IA-32 version
within an X86-64 browser?

Yasha Karant