SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 08:15:28 -0500
On 03/13/2013 06:57 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 03/09/2013 09:02 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> On 03/07/2013 08:38 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>>> We have bioinformatics visualization applications that require a java
>>> plugin enabled web browser.   The only plugin from Oracle/Sun Java
>>> that works is:

>>> Java Downloads for Linux
>>> Recommended Version 7 Update 17
>>>
>>>      Linux RPM filesize: 54.7 MB     Instructions     After installing
>>> Java, you will need to enable Java in your browser.
>>>     Linux filesize: 45.9 MB     Instructions
>>>     Linux x64 * filesize: 44.6 MB     Instructions
>>>     Linux x64 RPM * filesize: 52.8 MB     Instructions32-bit version
>>> for Java applet and Java Web Start suppor
>>> * Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start
>>> support.
>>>
>>> End quote from java.com
>>> Has anyone else encountered this problem and does anyone have a
>>> work-around?
>> Since Scientific Linux 6 and CentOS 6 are so similar, the CentOS wiki
>> content is applicable:
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/PluginsFor64BitFirefox
>>
>> I am personally running 64-bit Firefox and the Sun/Oracle Java 17
>> (CentOS 6.4 x86_64, fully updated this morning):
>>
>> [lowen@dhcp-pool146 ~]$ java -version
>> java version "1.7.0_17"
>> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
>> [lowen@dhcp-pool146 ~]$ rpm -qa|grep firefox
>> firefox-17.0.3-1.el6.centos.x86_64
>> [lowen@dhcp-pool146 ~]$ rpm -qa|grep jre
>> jre-1.7.0_17-fcs.x86_64
>> [lowen@dhcp-pool146 ~]$
>>
>>  From about:plugins in Firefox:
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++
>> Enabled plugins
>> Find more information about browser plugins at mozilla.org.
>> Find updates for installed plugins at mozilla.com/plugincheck.
>> Help for installing plugins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org.
>> Java(TM) Plug-in 1.7.0_17
>>
>>      File: libnpjp2.so
>>      Version:
>>      Java plug-in for NPAPI-based browsers.
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> I've attached a jpg of the run on the Oracle java testing page......
>> (might not make it to the list, so copying directly to Yasha).
>>
>> The instructions pointed to by the CentOS wiki page at
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment worked here, as far
>> as I remember, since it has been a few months since I initially got it
>> working.
>>
>> Oracle's docs are wrong about 64 bit Firefox and the 64-bit plugin for
>> applets.  I haven't tried Webstart, so don't know if that works or not.
>> I seem to remember some things being a pain to find (the Java console,
>> perhaps, to be able to clear the java cache?), but it works for the
>> applets I need.
>>
>> I don't know why the Oracle docs still say that the 32-bit plugin and
>> browser is required; I haven't experienced any issues with the applets
>> that I have run.  And mixing in the 32-bit stuff really complicates things.

> [...]

SL6 ships with icedtea-web on x86_64.  This is a java plugin for web browsers.

I can't speak to the Oracle side of things, but there is a native java plugin
for x86_64 in SL.

SL 6.4 BETA has the following:

$ rpm -qi  icedtea-web
Name        : icedtea-web                  Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.2.2                             Vendor: Scientific Linux
Release     : 3.el6                         Build Date: Fri 22 Feb 2013
07:13:06 AM CST
Install Date: Fri 01 Mar 2013 03:08:15 PM CST      Build Host: sl6.fnal.gov
Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
icedtea-web-1.2.2-3.el6.src.rpm
Size        : 869794                           License: LGPLv2+ and GPLv2 with
exceptions
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 22 Feb 2013 09:47:56 AM CST, Key ID b0b4183f192a7d7d
Packager    : Scientific Linux
URL         : http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/IcedTea-Web
Summary     : Additional Java components for OpenJDK
Description :
The IcedTea-Web project provides a Java web browser plugin, an implementation
of Java Web Start (originally based on the Netx project) and a settings tool to
manage deployment settings for the aforementioned plugin and Web Start
implementations.

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky