SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
William of BHE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William of BHE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:40:11 -0400
Is your machine dropping the connection, or is your router's wireless
crashing? From the log section you posted, it looks like your AP's radio
is going offline.

Ath9K wireless cards are known to cause problems when combined with
certain linux-based routers --such as the Buffalo WHR* dd-wrt based
routers-- also running Atheros chipsets.

I ran into this problem about a year ago. It was real fun tracking the
problem down as it was caused by a laptop I only use when my workstation
is unavailable. I got snowed with work while rebuilding my workstation
and switched to my laptop exclusively for several months; magically, the
previously stable Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N router (with an Atheros chip)
running DD-WRT began randomly dropping all wireless connections and
required a power-cycle to turn the radio back on.

Since nothing had changed from my perspective --I had used the laptop on
the network before, but not as extensively-- it took some effort to
pinpoint the problem. Replacing the laptop's ath9k wireless card with an
inexpensive Intel, and throwing out most of my USB Wireless-N adapters
(many are Atheros based) fixed the issue.

I've only heard of the issue when the client machine is running MS Win
7x64 with the 'right' version of updated drivers combined an Atheros
based router with the 'right' set of DDWRT firmware, and large file
transfers by the client over the local wireless network. If you haven't
updated the driver in your Windows 7 box to the problem driver version,
and/or aren't transferring large files (DVD ISO's, etc) the router won't
display the problem behavior.  I suppose the true moral of the story is:
don't buy Qualcomm chips, and when possible replace devices that use them?

Here's one of the links that helped me:
http://kinglee.blogspot.com/2010/07/buffalo-whr-hp-g300n-wireless-drop-on.html

Moving away from whatever firmware you're running on your router might
fix the issue. I replaced my laptop's wireless nic with an intel, and
tossed my Atheros based USB wireless adapters and am very happy. Best of
all, the Intel wireless NIC has pretty good bluetooth built in.

Can you send us sterilized sections of your router logs?

--W