SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:09:13 -0600
On 03/08/2013 02:38 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 05:38:13PM -0800, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> We have bioinformatics visualization applications that require a
>> java plugin enabled web browser.
>>
> I confirm that the Java situation in SL6 is 100% SNAFU.
>
> Few weeks ago, it took me a full day to get the java plugin to work at all,
> for a trivial application (java-based viewer for an TCP/IP connected KVM switch).
>
> Among problems:
>
> 1) firefox does not show the java plugin at all, but then goes to some plugin
>     update site that says "java plugin is disabled for your own safety" (never
>     mind that I am on a semi-isolated private network and I want to use one specific
>     known-to-be-safe application and anyway, this is my computer and what business
>     do firefox people have in telling me that I cannot run java anymore.
>     Where is my "enable java now!" button?!?).
>
> 2) then I am pointed to the "latest java from Oracle" download site (which is a mess
>     of it's own). This site tells me to use 32-bit JRE if I want the java plugin,
>     never mind that it will not work with my 64-bit firefox. (And where am I supposed
>     to get a 32-bit firefox? At least they do not insist that I get the i8080 CP/M firefox).
>
> 3) downloading and installing the Oracle 64-bit JRE (and JDK, if you can find it),
>     did not install the plugin shared library into the correct place. In fact
>     the "alternatives" crap looked completely messed up. To add to the fun,
>     "rpm --install" spewed errors about missing files and unable to unpack this and that.
>     Clearly faulty packaging from Oracle. Do not know if that is what messed up
>     the alternatives.
>
> 4) the "alternatives" junk insisted in using OpenJDK instead of Oracle JDK. No
>     documentation anywhere on how to defeat this.
>
> 5) manually ("find / -name "oracle jdk shared library firefox plugin" -print \;")
>     link the plugin into the right place, now it works.
>
> And then some people wonder "why nobody uses java?"
>
> K.O.

I can't speak to any specific problems, but I've had no issues with 100%
openjdk from the Scientific Linux repos.

I freely admit that I know little to nothing about Java, but here is what has
been working fine on my system.

$ rpm -qa |grep icedtea ; rpm -qa |grep openjdk
icedtea-web-javadoc-1.2.2-3.el6.x86_64
icedtea-web-1.2.2-3.el6.x86_64
java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.9-2.3.8.0.el6_4.x86_64
java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel-1.6.0.0-1.57.1.11.9.el6_4.x86_64
java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-1.57.1.11.9.el6_4.x86_64

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky
Scientific Linux developer