SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2013 08:50:57 -0800
On 03/01/2013 07:32 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Ken Teh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Time to stop this thread, methinks.
>
> Yasha does drop in these little political bombshells from time to
> time. Focus on the specific technical issue related to Scientifici
> Linux (such as laptop installation), and push the upstream
> architectural issues to the upstream vendor or the general Linux
> community as needed.

Two points:

1.  Unless the professional "user" community is aware of the internals
issues, there will never be any significant pressure to consider other
designs.  My comment was not intended as a political statement, nor a
philosophical one -- rather, it is a strict engineering question.

2.  As I understand the situation, Torvalds has the final veto power on
anything called "linux" at the kernel level.  He and Tanenbaum had an
exchange on microkernels versus monolithic kernels, and Torvalds held
firm to a monolith.  As an aside:  does Torvalds also have full veto on
the kernel API?