SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 13:14:20 -0600
On 03/04/2013 12:03 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> This is partially due in EL6 to the use of dracut and it's new initrd
> udev-ish system. I have one RHEL 6 box that is hooked to a pretty good-sized
> array on fibre-channel; it's fully HA, so there are four paths to any given
> LUN. My boot device, a 3Ware 9500-series SATA RAID card, ends up with a
> device name for it's first logical disk anywhere between /dev/sda and
> /dev/sdah; it's been /dev/sdu, /dev/sds, /dev/sdt, /dev/sdz, /dev/sdab, and
> pretty much everything in between, and it will vary from one boot to the
> next; it's at /dev/sdad right now. But I have the 3ware card, an
> on-motherboard U320 SCSI controller, a four-port Silicon Image SATA card,
> and a dual-port FC card hooked to the SAN.

I've seen the same behaviour with my LSI MegaRAIDs and I find it very
disconcerting.

I use kickstart to upgrade machines by doing a full install.  I reserve the
system disks so I can wipe them out and reinstall at will. Now that I don't
know which disk is which, kickstart becomes more cumbersome.  Either I have to
record the UUIDs and embed them in the kickstart file or open the box and
disconnect any non-system drive.