SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Earl Ramirez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Earl Ramirez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 07:19:49 +0800
On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 08:29 +1100, William Chivers wrote:
> Thank you Akemi, I had no idea that I could do this.
> For my video drivers I need kernel 3.4 or later. It seems from these sites that 3.0 and 3.8 is available - has anyone on the list had experience with this? How stable is SL 6.3 with kernel 3.8?
>
> Thanks again, Bill

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM, William Chivers
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Alas my new notebook uses the dreaded NVIDIA Optimus technology. I have set the BIOS to "Integrated" video but still SL with its ancient Linux kernel spins the fan noisily and constantly. I am forced to look for a Linux distro with a newer kernel - I am using Xubuntu at the moment which does not make the fan noisy but is unstable compared with SL - one or two crash reports per week etc. I might try Fedora with MATE next week.
> >
> > I hope to use SL again in the future but for now, how do I unsubscribe from this list?
> >
> > Thanks, Bill
>
> If you wish to run SL with a newer kernel, look into ELRepo's
> kernel-ml (mainline kernel) [1] or kernel-lt (long-term kernel) [2].
> Both kernels are from kernel.org.
>
> Akemi
>
> [1] http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml
> [2] http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-lt

I have a laptop that runs EL6 with NVIDIA Optimus technology. I have
installed the following package from ElRepo and I use optirun to run any
3D applications.

bumblebee-3.1-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
kmod-bbswitch-0.5-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64

You can check out the following links to get your laptop up and running
under EL6 with NVIDIA Optimus technology. You can also google "nvidia
optimus linux"

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39948

--

Kind Regards