SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:42:17 -0500
On Thu, 28 Mar 2013, Evan Sather wrote:

> ------enig2GQLSDWJADQIIIAUXHNWJ

> --------------090004020404060409070304
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We're experiencing NFS-related problems after viewing home directories
> on SL6 desktops.  SL5 clients do not experience this problem.  The NFS
> server is a SL5 machine.
>
> One of our desktops outputs this:
>
>    [user@host1 ~]$ ls -ltr |tail
>    ls: reading directory .: Invalid argument
>

> Another of our desktops outputs this:
>
>    [user@host2 ~]$ ls -l
>    ls: reading directory .: Too many levels of symbolic links
>
> Has anyone else seen this or a similar issue?  Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> --=20
> *Evan Sather*
> Linux System Administrator
> High Energy Physics
> Argonne National Laboratory

Evan,

We are trying to pin down which versions of the client software have this
issue.  We know that the server side changed via a bug fix in SL 5.9 via
the 2.6.18-348 kernels.  We are trying to figure out a way to predict the
issue on the client side.  So

    What kernel version do you have on the server?
    What arch is the server?

    What kernel version is on the client?
    What are the versions of nfs-utils* ?
    What arch is the client?