SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:05:51 -0400
On 03/27/2013 03:10 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> An excellent suggestion.  The unfortunate reality is that for a least
> some of these products, the only well support environment is MS
> Windows, sometimes Mac OS X, and only lastly, open systems such as
> Linux or the BSD variants.  In the case of Nvidia, the CUDA compute
> engines as well as the professional switched stereoscopic 3D do have a
> strong advertised support for and deployment under enterprise Linux.
> However, the reality is that the compatibility with existing Linux
> environments, e.g., SL, is not what one might desire for a "supported"
> product.

Microway, just to mention one company, supports CUDA under Linux. We
have one of their machines here, and one of our researchers is working
on using it under EL6 with a fairly large CUDA GPU setup. He's still
early into his research, but I'm sure I'll hear about any issues he may
have.

In case you're not familiar with them, Microway's Tesla information can
be found at http://www.microway.com/tesla/

They've been in the business a long time.  This is the first one of
their machines we have purchased, so we'll see how well the support works.

And SL, along with CentOS, qualifies as an 'enterprise Linux.'