SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2013 14:51:27 +0000

On 03/02/2013 10:48 AM, zxq9 wrote:
> On 03/02/2013 04:49 PM, g wrote:
>> greetings.
>>
>> i have recently in stalled sl6.3 from a 'livedvd on a stick' and all went
>> well.
>>
>> in looking at the new /etc/yum.repos.d files, i see "$releasever" and
>> "$basearch".
>>
>> how and where are these strings set?
---

thank you for reply.

it may be too late for me and this install. see *below*.

> yum sets its own environment when invoked. yum/__init__.py initializes
> basearch from a listing in rpmUtils/arch.py. I think releasever is
> pulled in by yum/config.py, but I don't remember where. If that doesn't
> make much sense then I recommend not doing whatever you're thinking of
> doing.

it is understandable. now i am wondering just where the *.py are located.
or is it in memory?

> Are you trying to set your system up a special way or are you just curious?

curious. i like to know why and how things work. more so now than before.

*below*

i should have 'pulled plugs' and gone to bed early, but i did not.

while waiting to see if i would get an early reply, i played where i
should not have.

not fully thinking about what i was doing, i renamed the sl6.3's installed
'yum.repo.d', then i copied in the 'yum.repo.d' from an sl5.x installation.

not thinking about what i had done [i blame it on my chemo therapy], i
ran 'yum update' without changing any of the sl5.x paths to sl6.3.

after i entered 'yum update', i left computer to do some house chores,
came back a little later and entered 'y' for continue. it was not until
i finished what i was doing and returned that i saw my error.

needless to say, i got a bunch a bunch of 'el5' packages installed instead
of 'el6' packages.

i renamed the 'sl5.x' 'yum.repo.d' and restored name of the 'sl6.3'
'yum.repo.d' and tried 'yum upgrade', which failed with a long string
of 'bad mirror' messages.

so now i am stuck with a basically 'sl6.3' install with a lot of 'sl5.x'
packages.

now my question is, is installation salvageable without a lot of trouble,
or would it be better to wipe partition and install fresh?

if fresh is better, safer and easier, so be it and i will have learned a
new lesson in life and computers.

again, i thank you for your help.
--

peace out.