SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:11:25 -0700
This is perhaps a silly question, but I would appreciate a URL or some
other explanation.

A faculty colleague and I were discussing the differences between a
supported enterprise Linux and any of a number of "beta" or "enthusiast"
linuxes (including TUV Fedora).  A question arose for which I have no
answer:  why did SL -- that has professional paid personnel at Fermilab
and CERN -- select to use the present TUV instead of SuSE enterprise
that is RPM (but yast, not yum) based, and has to release full source
(not binaries/directly useable) for the OS environment under the same
conditions as TUV of SL?  SuSE is just as stable, but typically
incorporates more current versions of applications and libraries than
does the TUV chosen.  Any insight would be appreciated.  If SuSE had
been chosen (SuSE originally was from the EU and thus a more natural
choice for CERN), what would we be losing over SL?
To the best of my knowledge, there is no SuSE Enterprise clone
equivalent to the SL or CentOS clones of TUV EL.

Yasha Karant