SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 03:34:54 -0400
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Dr Andrew C Aitchison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> Also, *why* are you mixing xfs and nfs services in the same
>> envirnment? And what kind of NFS and XFS servers are you using?
>

> Out of curiosity, why not ?
>
> In theory the choice of disk filesystem and network file sharing
> protocol should be independent.
>
> How different is the practice ?

I had some bad, bad experience with XFS and haven't used it since. It
completely destabilized my bulk storage environment: things may have
changed.

I've deliberately and effectively kept my file systems below the 16 TB
range and worked well with ext4. I've occasionally used larger scale
commercial storage serves such as NetApp's for larger NFS environments
since then.