SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:00:18 -0700
On 03/15/2013 12:07 PM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> On 03/15/2013 10:12 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> Evidently, from URL:
>>
>> http://nspluginwrapper.org/why.html
>>
>> nspluginwrapper is currently the only means to run a plugin in a browser
>> of a different architecture. It is most commonly used to run a 32-bit
>> plugin built for x86 in a 64-bit browser built for x86-64
>>
>> End quote
>>
>> and thus appears to address the issue I have raised in a different
>> thread.  I have found:
>>
>> nspluginwrapper-1.4.4-1.el6_3.x86_64.rpm - A compatibility layer for
>> Netscape 4 plugins
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with this adaptation layer compatibility
>> insert?  If so, good, bad, and is it reliable?
>>
>> Yasha Karant
>>

> Hi Yasha,
>
> The only thing I tried to use it for was acrobat reader.  Flash
> and Java all have 64 bit plug ins.  I never got it to work right.
>
> It is a mute point now that Firefox 19 has a build in PDF reader.
> It wont do fill in forms, but you just download a copy and
> run acroread.
>
> -T

This is disappointing news in that a number of the plugins we need do
not appear to have x86-64 bit plugins.  However, my previous solution
(run a full IA-32 Firefox under a x86-64 linux) is no longer properly
working.  As/if we find workarounds or support for media that requires
plugins, I will post these back to the list.

Yasha Karant