SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Yan Xiaofei <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yan Xiaofei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2013 23:36:12 +0800
> The question is good, but kind of backwards. That small, limited shell
> and binary environment on installation CD's and the old installtion
> floppies had to be very, very small in order to *fit* on floppies.
> Busybox provided that, with a lot of basic system commands linked into
> a single binary to save space with all the command parsing and leaving
> out lots of complex and not critical functions.
>
> Since people don't use floppies for installation much anymore, it's
> not so important. But the bigger this bootstraqp environment, the
> larger the space needed in RAM for bootstrap installations such as
> PXE, and the less RAM resources left for doing the actual instlalation
> itself, especially for RPM installation processes or the X based GUI
> that is commonly used now. So there's real pressure to keep the small,
> limited busybox environment that has worked pretty well up until now.
>
> If you need a LiveCD to do installations from, and aren't instlaling
> on embedded devices with small resources, that's one way to get access
> to more powerful tools.
Hello
Thanks very much for answer my question.
I use pxe to install a new machine from Quattor(A auto deployment tools).
The same kickstart file but different result for sl5.5 and sl5.8.

There maybe some different between sl5.5 and sl5.8.
SL5.8 use busybox command but sl5.5 use util command in %pre script.
I get log from %pre script that in sl5.5 the command directory is
/usr/sbin/****, but for sl5.5 is /bin/****

I delete links in the file SL5.8 initrd.img which linked to busybox,
Then it will use util command.
Thanks very much!

Xiaofei