SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2013

From:
Valery Mitsyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valery Mitsyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:09:01 +0400
On Sat, 16 Mar 2013, Valery Mitsyn wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Valery Mitsyn <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> after huge upgrade SL6.3 include kernel 2.6.32-358.2.1.el6
>>> and reboot to the newly installed kernel, a few our NFS
>>> server doesn't start but got a panic in a few seconds
>>> after init finished.
>>>  Some digging into the problem show that where is
>>> combination nfs+xfs on servers which leads to
>>> kernel panic. Servers running with nfs and ext3/4 only,
>>> or with xfs and without nfs run with kernel 2.6.32-358.2.1.el6
>>> so far without any problems.
>>>
>>>  Anybody seen this?
>>
>> Looks like it is related to this bug report:
>>
>> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6323
>
> Not exactly, our server crashed even his export on ext4 partition,
> and it crashed without any clients on the wire too.

  I can reproduce this on my test VM. I've create VM with
two vd[ab] where root partition is ext4 and /var is xfs.
nfs service is disabled to start at init. Machine started
fine, service nfs start, wait a minute and "kernel panic"
is here.
  Fortunately, there is the trick at list for my case.
create small partition in LVM, format it as ext4,
mount it at /mnt/tmp, sync /var/lib/nfs to /mnt/tmp,
edit fstab to mount it at startup to /var/lib/nfs.
Reboot and You can drink beer/coffee/tea again.

--
Best regards,
  Valery Mitsyn