SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2013

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:06:06 -0500
On 03/27/2013 02:10 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just wondering.... e4defrag is available in version 1.42 or above of
> e2fsprogs. The current version of e2fsprogs is 1.42.7 (Jan 21 2013).
>
> I'm wondering if its possible to build a newer version (maybe 1.42.7) of
> e2fsprogs and place it in the sl-addons repo to allow people access to
> e4defrag etc?
>
> I figure that it probably makes sense to have this tool available as ext4
> has featured online defrag for quite some time - and ext4 has been the
> default filesystem choice for all of EL6 - meaning there is a serious
> install base.
>
> While some people argue that ext4 doesn't get fragmented etc, I can vouch
> from experience that it can and does...

Hi Steven,

I'm a bit concerned about putting updated versions of packages already in the
tree within the addons repo.  If TUV adds in e4defrag or fixes some important
bugs it would probably be a bit confusing to switch back to the main SL tree.

Is there a bugzilla in for getting e4defrag into the TUV package?

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky

Scientific Linux developer