SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2013

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 22:06:24 +1100
On 10/03/2013 9:05 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 9/03/2013 7:56 AM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
>>
>> Network Install Images:
>>
>> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/images/boot.iso
>>

>> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/images/boot.iso
>>

> I believe these should be:
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/os/images/boot.iso
>
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso
>

> For what its worth, I just used unetbootin to copy the DVD to a USB
> stick to try the install, but it failed saying it can't find the install
> image.
>
> I'm currently trying it again but with the network install ISO instead...

Ok, so this time the install went ok using the NFS method and the DVD
ISO mounted on a network connected machine.

The bootloader was installed to /dev/sda - problem is - this was the USB
stick. It doesn't look like it installed the bootloader to /dev/sdb -
which would have been the SSD drive on this netbook.

So, I left the USB key in until grub appeared, then removed the USB
stick. This made the SSD come up as /dev/sda

 From there on, I needed to edit /etc/grub.conf to properly show the
correct drive layout of the system:
	root(hd0,0) instead of root(hd1,0)

Then run:
	grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

Then install grub again just to be sure:
	grub-install /dev/sda

Then I could boot ok.

I'm wondering if it is worthwhile checking if /dev/sda is a removable
disk / USB stick, and if so, move onto the next as default? Or maybe prompt?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: https://www.crc.id.au