SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2013

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:39:37 -0500
On 03/13/2013 08:41 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 14/03/13 00:31, Pat Riehecky wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, I put this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I get three screens in the
>>> correct order, but I cannot move windows between the screens. Whatever
>>> screen I start an application on, that is where it is stuck. If I try,
>>> the mouse gets to the edge of the screen and moves no further.
>>>
>>> When I'm not dragging a window, I can move the cursor around between
>>> windows without issue.
>>>

>> Just checking, but does xsane still throw the RANDR errors with this
>> config?
>>
>> I was hopeful to push the updated Xorg packages out today, but I want to
>> take you bug/problem report seriously.
>
> Give me ~18 hours. I'm just about to head to bed (its 0039 here now) and I'm
> working the first half of tomorrow. I'll have something for you as soon as I
> can.
>
>> I'll confess it does sound like an ATI driver issue and I fear I've
>> reached the limit of my knowledge in that area.  I typically end up with
>> OSS drivers or the nVidia blob.
>
> I believe it probably is - but I'll confirm it for you tomorrow. The hard
> part about the whole display driver thing is that you always seem to end up
> doing the lesser of evils when it comes to trade offs.
>
> One day it'll 'just work' and have all the bells and whistles... :)

We seem to be at cross times, so I'll toss this at you now while I'm thinking
of it.

Aside from the lack of powersave, do the OSS modules work generally on your
system?  Pointing the finger at ATI is fine with me, but if the basics on the
OSS module aren't right we've got bigger problems.....

Best of luck in the morning coming your way,

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky

Scientific Linux developer