SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2013

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:48:30 +1100
On 13/03/13 23:29, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On 13/03/13 18:56, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
>
>>> Whilst searching for more on the fglrx driver I did get the
>>> impression that many people were struggling to get ati hardware
>>> working with all three of RANDR, Xinerama and fglrx.
>>> I fear that you have to pick any two.
>>>

>> Yeah - it does seem a little ordinary... :( If only the OSS X driver didn't
>> cause the card to draw heaps more power - therefore running the fan on the
>> video card at high speed all the time :(
>>
>> I'm still going to keep hunting though :)
>
> Would this FAQ perhaps help?
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS6#head-012846a4e422267a34e81c4c905654fc8f36ffaf

It is a good reference. What I should point out is that even with 3
screens, it works with multi-desktop out of the box. What it doesn't do
is work efficiently. The power saving features of the card aren't
available - so it uses a lot more power than the ATI driver - meaning it
creates more heat for less work - meaning the damn fan doesn't shut up! :)

The ATI binary driver is a lot more kludgy to get working, but it keeps
the card cool and the fan never seems to move above idle speed.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: https://www.crc.id.au