SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2013

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 14:54:26 -0600
After today's security errata push, there are only a few items with
outstanding security errata:

xorg-x11-apps
kernel

Each of these is complex to deploy for different reasons.

KERNEL

The new kernel has a new method of packaging and distributing the
OpenAFS kmod.  There are a number of reasons for this change, including
a change in the 'kernel(do_settimeofday)' symbol.  We believe this
change will be transparent.  If you depend on OpenAFS, please consider
testing this change.  You should not notice any changes in behavior, but
it will include a few additional 'kmod-openafs' packages:
- kmod-openafs-279-1.6.2-0.144.sl6.279
- kmod-openafs-358-1.6.2-0.144.sl6.358.0.1

Any 32-bit SL6 system should be aware of possible problems with the
afs cache when switching from kernels prior to kernel-2.6.32-279.el6.
Purging your OpenAFS cache seems to resolve this issue.

We expect this new packaging structure will help avoid similar issues
in the future.

The change to xorg-x11-apps is a change to xorg.  After the xorg
problems encountered with the 6.3 security update, there were a number
of requests to simply grab any relevant looking X library and add it in
as a dependency.  We've attempted to honor this request within reason.
The 'sl-testing' repo should cleanly apply this X update to any 6.3 systems.

As a reminder, with SL6.4 there is a change in the X.org ABI for the
video drivers. This change will require compatible drivers.  Anyone
using the drivers shipped with SL should have no problems.  Anyone
using drivers from an external source - such as nVidia, ATI, or
ELRepo should ensure a compatible driver is loaded.  Please ensure
you are on the most recent compatible driver before updating the
system.

For example, nVidia 173.14.36, 304.64, and 310.32 should be
compatible earlier versions may not be.

You can find these as ELRepo packages nvidia-x11-drv-173,
nvidia-x11-drv-304, and nvidia-x11-drv.

We would appreciate feedback on these packages so that we can release
them officially.

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky