SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:14:26 -0600
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 07:33:37PM -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 02/18/2013 02:01 PM, Ken Teh wrote:
> >During a kickstart install, how are drives mapped?  I notice that sata0
> >is not always sda.  This is especially true when there are very large
> >drives in the mix.
>
> The sd* letters are simply handed out in order of enumeration and,
> as you noted, is not deterministic.  If you need that, use the
> /dev/disk/by-{id,label,path,uuid} labels.

For this reason we use a script during the kickstart %pre section which
attempts to examine the available drives and determine which is the
appropriate one to install on (also waits for confirmation if an
unexpected partition table is found).

G.
Graham Allan - I.T. Manager
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota