SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Andras Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andras Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 18:25:46 +0100
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 09:37:46 -0500
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Charles Campbell
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> >> If you're not keeping the vim build structure on the bleeding edge
> >> as well, for example by using up-to-date SRPM's, you won't get new
> >> dependencies reported. Are you building from a Fedora SRPM, or
> >> what?
> >>
> > I'm building vim using Bram Moolenaar's copy at ftp.home.vim.org ,
> > cd /pub/vim/unix, vim-7.3.tar.bz2,  and patches he provides for vim
> > development (under /pub/vim/patches/7.3).  Bram Moolenaar is the
> > author of vim.
> >
> > The code compiled and linked to gtk2  until recently (about Feb 1,
> > which corresponds to patch#799); none of the patches since 799 have
> > had anything to do with causing missing header files
> > in /usr/include.  There was, however, a change to using automatic
> > updates at that time.
> >
> > Regards,
> > C Campbell
>
> Just out of curiousity, I grabbed the SRPM for this version of vim
> from Fedora 18 and tried to buidl it on RHEL 6. It looks like Bram
> is.... doing some interesting things trying to outsmart the built-in
> definitions for tgetstr and a lot of other low level terminal
> functions. But the fact that it builds on Fedora 18, and not on RHEL
> 6, hints that the gtk change or other library changes since RHEL 6 are
> conflicting with this.
>
> This.... is a known problem of using a "stable" release.  The small
> changes in the build environment make building bleeding edge versions
> of tools more and more awkward.

Whenever I need a bleeding edge version from any package, I use
febootstrap to create a tiny Fedora system, and install everything in
that one. Recently, I wanted to have the latest ruby on SL 6.3, and
first started to compile, but it would need a tons of skills and time.
Then toook a look for a 3rd party repo, still has a lot of cons. Then I
realized why not use the official ones from Fedora? Fedora anyway
pushes always the latest and greatest versions in their repos with
pretty good quality.

Something like:

su -
mkdir -p /opt/fedora
yum install febootstrap
febootstrap -g Base fedora-17 /opt/fedora
chroot /opt/fedora
mount -t proc proc /proc
echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >> /etc/resolv.conf
yum update
yum install vim
adduser user
su user
vim --version

(Didn't test it with fedora-18 base yet). If you want to access your
files out of your chroot env, then cross mount it with bind. Or your
whole home dir. Of course, this is good mostly for CLI progs.

This is the cleanest and most painless method IMHO, instead of hunting
libs for dependencies. Doesn't take much disk space either (around 280
MB is the base for me on 64 bit). And you can easily update your whole
chroot environment with a yum update too anytime.