SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
William Chivers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Chivers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:05:45 +1100
Have you considered FreeBSD?

I love Linux and I and used it on my desktops and notebooks exclusively for 10 years. Having said that to hopefully avoid any flame wars, in recent years I have started to use FreeBSD on servers. It is a small learning curve for Linux users, but you will be rewarded by the incredible stability and reliability of FreeBSD.

FreeBSD offers its unique Jails feature, similar to but not the same as VMs. Jails, the ZFS and the new package management tools are making FreeBSD an easy choice for servers. No other OS offers Jail technology and few offer the ZFS.

To make the transition easier, look at PC-BSD. This is a project to bring FreeBSD to the desktop (and would be serious competition for Linux if FreeBSD offered better video and other hardware support) but PC-BSD can be used to install plain FreeBSD for a server and offers a command-line utility, the warden, to manage Jails.

I am using SL to type this of course, but we Linux users should be aware of FreeBSD and PC-BSD.

Cheers, Bill

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:48:41AM -0800, Mahmood Naderan wrote:

> >The Kernel in Scientific Linux is 2.6.32
>
> >Current version of Scientific Linux is 6.3 which is running the 2.6 kernel
>

> So what should with the kernel? AMD bulldozer needs kernel > 2.6.
> Otherwise it will recognize only 4GB of memory (inspite there is 64GB RAM!)

It's hard to tell a feature set from the SL kernel version. TUV will
have all kinds of backports in there, and it could well include what
you are looking for. A quick google pulls up a bunch of reports saying
that (for example) RHEL 6.2 added support for Bulldozer opterons.

On the topic of compilers... a while back was the announcement of the
"Red Hat Developer Toolset"; at the time I remember Connie said she was
working on it. I'm not sure if I missed an announcement, but did that
ever work out for release on SL?

Graham
Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota