SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:28:48 -0600
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:48:41AM -0800, Mahmood Naderan wrote:

> >The Kernel in Scientific Linux is 2.6.32
>
> >Current version of Scientific Linux is 6.3 which is running the 2.6 kernel
>

> So what should with the kernel? AMD bulldozer needs kernel > 2.6.
> Otherwise it will recognize only 4GB of memory (inspite there is 64GB RAM!)

It's hard to tell a feature set from the SL kernel version. TUV will
have all kinds of backports in there, and it could well include what
you are looking for. A quick google pulls up a bunch of reports saying
that (for example) RHEL 6.2 added support for Bulldozer opterons.

On the topic of compilers... a while back was the announcement of the
"Red Hat Developer Toolset"; at the time I remember Connie said she was
working on it. I'm not sure if I missed an announcement, but did that
ever work out for release on SL?

Graham
Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota