SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 00:22:34 +0400
В Чтв, 14/02/2013 в 11:48 -0800, Mahmood Naderan пишет:

> >The Kernel in Scientific Linux is 2.6.32
>
> >Current version of Scientific Linux is 6.3 which is running the 2.6
> kernel
>

> So what should with the kernel? AMD bulldozer needs kernel > 2.6.
> Otherwise it will recognize only 4GB of memory (inspite there is 64GB
> RAM!)

RHEL kernels have a lot of backports from more fresh kernels.

Just look in computer/processor documentation about supported distros
and keep in mind compatibility between SL, CentOS and RHEL.

For ex. -- accordingly:

http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/51803A_OpteronLinuxTuningGuide_SCREEN.pdf

"Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.2 (includes KVM) and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux derivatives CentOS 6.2 and Scientific Linux 6.2" have
Linux kernel "that fully supports and enables the new features of the
AMD OpteronTM 4200/6200 Series processors".