SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 00:21:59 +0400
Hi Yasha Karant!

 On 2013.02.08 at 09:43:03 -0800, Yasha Karant wrote next:

> Thank you for that clarification -- I was aware that this was
> primarily server technology.  However, the boot diagnostic
> concerning "unsupported CPU" does not appear on my desktop
> workstation (same base hardware platform) -- and thus I assumed that
> something was amiss.  Running the command you specified reveals

Maybe it's produced when edac service is started? Try disabling it, for
example..

It does indeed feels like module is loaded for some reason (someone
forces it to load, though normally edac script checks for motherboard
support before trying to load anything). And after it loads, it checks
and reports that it loaded for no reason because system doesn't support
EDAC.

Maybe someone manually forces it to load from /etc/modprobe.d trickery,
/etc/rc.local or some custom service? Try doing
# grep -r edac_mce_amd /etc/

I'd just disable edac service (better yet, remove edac-utils package)
and check throughly /etc for the traces of some code which tries to load
the module manually; it's likely that the problem is there somewhere.

--

Vladimir