SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2013 22:16:53 -0800
On 02/07/2013 05:09 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 09:22:21PM -0800, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> SL 6x X86-64 on an AMD CPU.  During boot, the dac_mce_amd kernel
>> module is indicated as not being loaded.  However, lsmod as well as
>> a direct viewing of /proc/modules shows that the module is loaded
>> and live. Evidence below.  Is this consistent?  Is the module
>> actually active?
>>
>> kernel:  2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP from uname -a
>>
>>  From /var/log/boot.log:
>>
>> AMD Processor family 16: Please load edac_mce_amd module.
>> CPU is unsupported
>>

> I confirm that in SL6, the EDAC modules load and work correctly
> in the default configuration. (I did not have to do anything special,
> they "just worked" after the normal installation).
>
> How do I know they work? On both dual AMD Opteron machines still alive
> (the 1st generation, single-core ones), the memory subsystem is iffy
> and I often see messages from EDAC/MCE about ECC correcting memory bits.
>
> In Yasha's case, I would be suspicious about the message
> about "CPU is unsupported". Perhaps that's the real problem. But he is
> not telling us what CPU he has, so I cannot check the EDAC compatibility
> and supported CPU list for him.

Two questions:

1.  What is the URL for the supported CPU list (please see the response
immediately above)?

2.  Why is the option documented in man not actually present in the
implemented instance of the command?  Is this a (known) bug?

For an answer to the question as to which CPU is present on this
particular machine:

[ykarant@ahprc2 ~]$ lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
CPU socket(s):         1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             AuthenticAMD
CPU family:            16
Model:                 5
Stepping:              3
CPU MHz:               800.000
BogoMIPS:              6415.37
Virtualization:        AMD-V
L1d cache:             64K
L1i cache:             64K
L2 cache:              512K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
[ykarant@ahprc2 ~]$ x86info
x86info v1.25.  Dave Jones 2001-2009
Feedback to <[log in to unmask]>.

Found 4 CPUs
CPU #1
EFamily: 1 EModel: 0 Family: 15 Model: 5 Stepping: 3
CPU Model: Unknown CPU
Processor name string: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor
Monitor/Mwait: min/max line size 64/64, ecx bit 0 support, enumeration
extension
SVM: revision 1, 64 ASIDs, np, lbrVirt, SVMLock, NRIPSave
Address Size: 48 bits virtual, 48 bits physical
The physical package has 4 of 4 possible cores implemented.
CPU #2
EFamily: 1 EModel: 0 Family: 15 Model: 5 Stepping: 3
CPU Model: Unknown CPU
Processor name string: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor
Monitor/Mwait: min/max line size 64/64, ecx bit 0 support, enumeration
extension
SVM: revision 1, 64 ASIDs, np, lbrVirt, SVMLock, NRIPSave
Address Size: 48 bits virtual, 48 bits physical
The physical package has 4 of 4 possible cores implemented.
CPU #3
EFamily: 1 EModel: 0 Family: 15 Model: 5 Stepping: 3
CPU Model: Unknown CPU
Processor name string: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor
Monitor/Mwait: min/max line size 64/64, ecx bit 0 support, enumeration
extension
SVM: revision 1, 64 ASIDs, np, lbrVirt, SVMLock, NRIPSave
Address Size: 48 bits virtual, 48 bits physical
The physical package has 4 of 4 possible cores implemented.
CPU #4
EFamily: 1 EModel: 0 Family: 15 Model: 5 Stepping: 3
CPU Model: Unknown CPU
Processor name string: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor
Monitor/Mwait: min/max line size 64/64, ecx bit 0 support, enumeration
extension
SVM: revision 1, 64 ASIDs, np, lbrVirt, SVMLock, NRIPSave
Address Size: 48 bits virtual, 48 bits physical
The physical package has 4 of 4 possible cores implemented.

Yasha Karant