SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 00:54:53 +0000

On 02/06/2013 09:09 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> I have been unable to determine why the Thunderbird message
> received sounds do not work. The same .wav files work as
> expected with aplay. This is an SL-6.3/64bit computer and
> Thunderbird 10.0.12.
>
> Is this problem unique to me or is there a known fix?

you sure do come up with some good questions. :)

i had never given thought to a notification alert until you brought
it up and come to find that it is set in thunderbird's "about:config".

from thunderbird's "main menu" bar, select;

  Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General > [Config Editor]

in the "about:config" window's "Filter:" bar, enter the word;

  sound

among the "Preference Name", you should see;

  mail.biff.play_sound.url

which is the location path for the ".wav" file to be played.

if you desire, you can add your own ".wav" files there, or supply
your own path for personal files. i do not suggest cat sounds. your
dogs might tear up your computer trying to get to the cat. (GBWG)

you will also see;

  mail.bif.play_sound.type

in my config, it was set "0". i changed this to "1". i now
have an alert sound played when i have email/s arrive.

if you open your internet browser and log to site;

   http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mail_and_news_settings

then use <ctrl+f> and enter

   mail.biff

in search bar, you will find the settings for "mail.biff.*".

hope that helps you and others who want to *hear* when new email/s
arrive.

enjoy. ;)
--

peace out.