SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:38:12 -0800
On 02/28/2013 08:24 PM, Victor Helsing wrote:
> From: *Yasha Karant* <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>
> "Modern BSD ...  Linux ... Mac  ...  PCs  ...  OSx ...   all other
> things being equal..."
>
> Apples and oranges are not equal in all other respects, but both are
> nourishing and enjoyable to those who eat them.   Comparisons and
> analysis of the virtues and differences between apples and oranges are
> best left to those  eating them, not to those lecturing about how one is
> better than another "all other things being equal."
>
> The systems and technologies I have used in the past 35 years have
> rarely been equal in all other respects, and some of my more costly
> mistakes are based on choosing the "best" technology or design rather
> than the market dominant design that works as well as it needs to.

This may not be the correct forum for this discussion.  The issue of a
"market dominant design" depends upon how that dominance is obtained:
whether it is through open "competition" or through monopolistic
marketing and the unearned purchase of intellectual property also for
monopolistic or oligopolistic purposes.  In the case of Linux versus
BSD, the market dominance is probably not a bad measure, which is why --
operationally -- I just configured a cfengine server using X86-64 SL6x
rather than a BSD derivative.  We were up and running (on the server,
not the full cfengine configuration, although community
licensed-for-free cfengine is installed and working) with SL6x in a few
minutes, whereas I suspect I still would be there with a research
student installing BSD.  Nonetheless, in terms of intrinsic OS
architecture, BSD is superior to Linux -- but not so in the practical
world.  SL 6x is "good enough".