SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:06:55 -0800
After much deliberation, we have decided to deploy the licensed-for-free
version of cfengine.  As the documentation is enormous, and none of us
are fluent in the syntax at this point, are there any sources of
cfengine configuration/running "scripts" (text input files) to do
typical software distribution tasks on an automated basis?  I am not
referring to something as dramatic as installing full OS image with disk
partitioning and file system formatting, but rather keeping applications
(e.g., Chimera, PyMol, SciLab, etc.) up to date without requiring a
manual download and install on each workstation.  We plan on setting up
a small dedicated cfengine server, albeit with sufficient disk space --
several Tbytes -- and appropriate NICs to handle the periodic load.
This machine will be in a physically secure location and with some
firewalling and other protective measures, albeit not on a physically
separate hardwired LAN dedicated to this purpose.

Any leads would be most appreciated.

Yasha Karant