SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:57:59 -0500
actually there a few workarounds here is one of them
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jejb/efitools.git;a=tree
Its a signed pre-bootloader lol.

By the way a more sever version this was originally proposed by
Microsoft as an in bios version as part of their first trusted
computing push nearly a decade ago which the majority of users (even
Windows users) threatened to boycotted any manufacturer who
implemented it. Now with the advent of UEFI they slipped it in again,
after every one had forgotten about the first attempt. The original
version included the concept that all software running on the machine
had to have a currently valid unique license key signed by Microsoft
installed in your bios or your bios would prevent your computer from
operating because you are a pirate if your software wasn't registered
via Microsoft regardless of who wrote it.