SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Dale Dellutri <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dale Dellutri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:53:51 -0600
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 6:27 AM, zxq9 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 02/27/2013 04:20 AM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
>>
>> I have an X120e as well and simply changing the hard drive doesn't fix
>> the eufi issue.
>> the first answer to this string is correct with two cavorts RedHat got
>> two signed certs one fro RHEL and the other for Fedora. apparently the
>> process was a nightmare but they will work with secure boot. for that
>> reason I run fedora as my primary os on my laptop and if i have to do
>> any Scientific Linux testing I run it in a VM
>> (and yes an AMD fusion chip can runs a single VM surprisingly well)..
>

> We supply our customers with Linux and dual-boot systems, and recently have
> run headlong into the UEFI madness.

> ... (SNIPPED) ...

> There is a silver lining. The board makers themselves are out to sell boards
> and laptops and tablets and can be reasoned with. My company is an extremely
> small player in the hardware field but we've had positive response from
> vendors when inquiring about having our own keys included on boards
> alongside Microsoft's when doing bulk orders. We haven't had to go that
> route yet so I'm unsure how much of a pain that would actually be to manage
> (doesn't appear much more difficult than managing repository keys though,
> for example), but this leaves the door open for even tiny computing
> companies and larger IT departments to arrange for their own "secure" boot
> keys to be pre-installed by the board manufacturers and not violate
> Microsoft's requirements, even on ARM. That said, since we don't do showroom
> marketing anyway neither we nor our suppliers have a need to put little
> "Windows8 Ready" stickers on anything they ship to us anyway.

> ... (SNIPPED) ...

Doesn't this lower the eventual resale value of the laptop?  Doesn't it restrict
the laptop to run only what either MS wants or what you installed?

I buy refurbished laptops and install Fedora, but I might want to try *BSD or
Ubuntu or something else in the future.  Doesn't the "silver lining" restrict
that with these UEFI laptops?

--
Dale Dellutri