SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:46:51 -0800
A  question -- please see below:

On 02/26/2013 02:17 PM, Connie Sieh wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Yasha Karant wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that if the machine is licensed for MS Windows, then
>> the release and version for which it is so licensed can legally be run
>> under VirtualBox (or the equivalent):  Linux as the host OS, VirtualBox,
>> and then a fresh install from media of the licensed MS Windows.  I do
>> however, in most cases, remove the original works formatted MS Windows
>> hard drive for the same purpose mentioned below.
>>
>> Will VirtualBox run MS Win 8 assuming the eufi issue can be solved for
>> the host OS?
>
> The choices are either turn "secure boot off" or run a os/bootloader
> that has a signature that uefi knows about(Microsoft).  This assumes a
> uefi only i386/x86_64 motherboard.  The uefi is more complicated but at
> least there is a way to turn off "secure boot".
>
> Note that the Linux Foundation is sponsoring a effort to "create" a
> signed boot loader.  I do not think that TUV is planning on using this .

Assuming that a signed boot loader -- a MS eufi compliant grub -- is
available, is there any reason that one cannot load such a boot loader
over the TUV/SL version, and thus boot standard SL?

> No speak vmware.

Not vmware but licensed for free Virtual Box.  Assuming one can somehow
bypass MS Win 8, as many of us did with MS Win Vista, moving from MS Win
XP to MS Win 7 as the guest OS to run applications that are not
available for open systems, will we still be shackled by a MS
proprietary requirement (eufi)?  Probably a crystal ball question, and
thus not open to an answer.  Is eufi required in those nation states in
which MS was found to be a monopoly and forced to provide meaningful
remedies?