SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:17:32 -0500
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM, CS DBA <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I've installed mediawiki for our company on a Scientific Linux 6.x server.
> Mediawiki does not
> allow users I create to login and go to a settings page to change their
> password.
>
> The only way users can change passwords is to click the lost password link
> and have Mediawiki
> email them a new password.

> However, email does not work. I downloaded sendmail but still no luck.
> I also tried to send a simple email from the command line via sendmail,
> still no luck

Downloading isn't enough, you actually ahve to start it. But if you're
using SL 6.3, I strongly suspect that you already had Postfix
installed and running, and you should rip sendmail right back out and
use Postfix (wich is the default now for our favorite upstream
vendor).

Sendmail is an MTA, a Mail Transfer Agent. If the email got to it, it
should show up in /var/log/maillog.

> I'm pretty well versed in basic Linux admin tasks but when it comes to
> sendmail, mailx, etc
> I'm a complete noobie.

mailx is an old, somewhat simpler command line client for email. If
that's not working, something is wrong. Are you sure you don't have a
network firewall in place somewhere that is blocking email from any
but designated, active SMTP servers, and machines like yours would be
forced to pass their mail first to a "smarthost"? I've done that kind
of blocking myself, *precisely* to keep every student and staff and
their granny from running public and unmaintained wikis and mailing
lists that would be coming from sites inside our network but had
nothing to do with the company.

> Any help on setting up the mail (and getting it to play nice with mediawiki)
> would be much appreciated
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> /Kevin

See above. Check /var/spool/mailllog, and see what "/usr/lib/sendmail
-bp" says about any outstanding email messages stuck in the queue.