SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:17:50 -0600
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Yasha Karant wrote:

> My understanding is that if the machine is licensed for MS Windows, then
> the release and version for which it is so licensed can legally be run
> under VirtualBox (or the equivalent):  Linux as the host OS, VirtualBox,
> and then a fresh install from media of the licensed MS Windows.  I do
> however, in most cases, remove the original works formatted MS Windows
> hard drive for the same purpose mentioned below.
>
> Will VirtualBox run MS Win 8 assuming the eufi issue can be solved for
> the host OS?

The choices are either turn "secure boot off" or run a os/bootloader that
has a signature that uefi knows about(Microsoft).  This assumes a uefi
only i386/x86_64 motherboard.  The uefi is more complicated but at least
there is a way to turn off "secure boot".

Note that the Linux Foundation is sponsoring a effort to "create" a signed
boot loader.  I do not think that TUV is planning on using this .

No speak vmware.

-Connie Sieh