SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:46:11 -0600
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Scott_Gates wrote:

> OK, If I needed a desktop, I'd just roll my own. Probably starting with=20=
>
> something bare-bones from TigerDirect.
>
> I'm thinking of buying a new laptop, rather than just recycling old ones,=
> =20
> like I have been.=20
>
> I have HEARD there are issues with trying to install on computers with=20=
>
> Windows8 already installed--the only source I have of "CHEAP" laptops.=20=
> =20

If a i386/x86_64 laptop is certified for the "Windows 8 logo" then it has
to have "secure boot" enabled in the bios(uefi) by default as required by
Microsoft.  Secure boot requires a 'signed by microsoft' program to boot.
But the bios(uefi) is REQUIRED to have a method to turn off the "secure
boot" option and thus not require a microsoft signed os.

Note that ARM based laptop with "Windows 8 logo" are required to enable
"secure boot" but are required to not allow that it be changed.  Again as
required by microsoft.

> Basically a Wal-mart or Best-buy boxes that I can get in the $250-$400 ra=
> nge.
>
> Does anybody have experience with this?  Yeah, I know I'll be Voiding the=
> =20
> Warranty--but, I need a laptop for real work--not socializing or net=20
> flicking.  You know what I mean.

-Connie Sieh