SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:28:16 -0600
On 02/26/2013 09:50 AM, Joseph Areeda wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm running SL6.3 with a GTX 670 in a dual monitor (etended desktop)
> setup using DVI connectors.
>
> There are a few applications that need libXrandr and other applications
> that use the GPU for processing and need the nVidia proprietary drivers.
>
> Is it as simple as installing libXrandr?
>
> It seems as though RandR is available before I install the nVidia
> drivers but is removed when on install or switching to Xinerama which
> makes me suspect they are incompatible.
>
> So far I've been living without the apps that require RandR or run them
> in a VNC window.
>
> I'd really appreciate a reference that explains the problem or even
> better the solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

Joe,

It may depend on which driver you are running.  Better support for the
RandR features started occurring in driver series 302.  If the output of
'xrandr -q' doesn't work, you may have to add 'Option "RandRRotation"'
to your Xorg configuration file.  I believe their is also an option in
nvidia-settings when properly enabled.  Some settings may create an
incompatibility.  For example, enabling SLI breaks rotation ability.
You may also suffer performance issues when using it.

I'd recommend checking /usr/share/doc/nvidia*/ for information on the
specific version you are running.

Also, I would recommend you use the kmod packaged driver from ELrepo as
opposed to the binary directly from nvidia if possible.

Regards,
Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola