SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Scott_Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott_Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:26:14 -0600
OK, If I needed a desktop, I'd just roll my own. Probably starting with
something bare-bones from TigerDirect.

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop, rather than just recycling old ones,
like I have been.

I have HEARD there are issues with trying to install on computers with
Windows8 already installed--the only source I have of "CHEAP" laptops.
Basically a Wal-mart or Best-buy boxes that I can get in the $250-$400 range.

Does anybody have experience with this?  Yeah, I know I'll be Voiding the
Warranty--but, I need a laptop for real work--not socializing or net
flicking.  You know what I mean.