SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Tim Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:55:12 +0000

The articles appear to be referring to the footprint of the tool rather than the scalability.  The aim for us is to support O(100K) clients and we can accept some hardware investment in a scale-out architecture to achieve this.

The approach is not a 'developer' one but an infrastructure manager looking at total cost of ownership which includes more than hardware costs. We've certainly found major productivity gains from tools such as PuppetDB and Heira along with manifests from the puppetforge such as the OpenStack one.

As you say, the most important thing is to do configuration management, the tool choice is secondary and different sites will have different needs.

Tim