SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:08:09 -0500
A strange item turned up in my logs yesterday:

kernel: process `grep' is using deprecated sysctl (syscall)
net.ipv6.neigh.default.retrans_time; Use
net.ipv6.neigh.default.retrans_t ime_ms instead.

I use grep all the time and have never seen this before.  It only
appeared once, although I used grep many times during the day.  I don't
have a way of discovering exactly which call to grep triggered it, but I
don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary.

A possible clue:  At the same time (same timestamp in the log) there was

kernel: usb 5-2: new full speed USB device number 6 using ohci_hcd
kernel: usb 5-2: device descriptor read/64, error -62

and I know that I didn't plug in any usb devices yesterday.  So this
looks like some sort of hardware glitch, but could that explain the grep
syscall?

SL 6.3 on a Compaq dx5150 desktop.

Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks,