SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:39:58 -0500
The only problem I ever had with cfengine is the documentation was
never all that great but it is stable and scales well.
That being said puppet is not perfect many of the stock recipes for it
you find on the web don't scale well and to get it to scale you really
need to be a ruby programer. My other issue with puppet is it doesn't
provide you with a great amount of control over the timing of the
deployment of changes unless you go to significant lengths.
Essentially its good for a "Agile development model" environment which
is popular with many web companies; however its a nightmare for
mission critical 24x7x365 environments which require changes to be
scheduled in advance.

These days I'm using Spacewalk for most of what I would have used
cfengine or puppet for in the past the only thing that it doesn't do
out of the box is make sure that particular services are running or
not running at boot, but there are a myriad of other simple ways to do
that which require very little work, and if I really wanted to I could
get spacewalk to do that as well via the soap APIs.