SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 10:04:49 -0600
On 2/21/2013 4:13 PM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Also cfengine, though that seems to be getting less fashionable... We
>> still use it, no compelling reasons to change so far!
>
> we take our decisions based on functionality, not fashion.
>
> Cfengine is just fine. Good performance, little dependencies, good
> security record (not unimportant for your infrastructure management
> tool and oh what a start of the year for ruby it was), and it has in
> place editing instead of requiring you to use yet another tool
> (augeas).
>
> But puppet/chef are good products too, just not good enough to justify
> a downgrade from the better one ;-)

Totally agree, I just meant that puppet does have more mindshare these
days and you'll probably find more people familiar with it. We have used
cfengine for 10+ years, not that we haven't discovered flaws over time
but I'm certainly very happy with it and see no reason to change. We
have had student sysadmins come in, have to learn cfengine, they also
look at puppet, and comment that cfengine was a good choice.

Just as we here still write most of our support scripts etc in perl,
that is also unfashionable now, doesn't mean it's not the best tool for
the job (fx: throws bomb and runs away... :-)

Graham