SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2013

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2013 15:55:57 -0500
On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with puppet from URL:
>
> https://puppetlabs.com/
>
> ?
>
> If so, positive and/or negative observations are requested, as well as
> practical alternatives.
>
> Yasha Karant

Switching is expensive. It's Ruby based, so iif you haven't mastered
Ruby your ability to write new modules is limited. And it requires a
complex backend database: anytime you introduce a database in a
critical path, you have to factor in the reliability and support of
the database itself.

The result is the last two times I evaluated it I rejected as too
complicated, and too much work, to replace the existing and admittedly
complex hand-written infrastructure or separate cfengine or Bladelogic
management tools in place. It has a good reputation, and a lot of
users, so new modules to do things are often available directly rather
than requiring personal authorship.