SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:37:47 -0500
[ I think I accidentally took this thread private..., fixing that ]

On Dec 28, 2012, at 5:40, Tom H <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Tom H <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> NM in F-17/F-18 understands ifcfg files defining bonds, bridges, vlans.
>>>
>>> I've installed an X-less F-18 and uninstalled NM without a hitch so
>>> it's still uninstallable (but I didn't try to do so with GNOME or
>>> another DE installed), so it *SHOULD* still be uninstallable in EL-7.
>>> Since you're so enamored with NM, I look forward to your reaction to
>>> firewalld when you move to EL-7. :)
>>
>> Since F-18 is only in beta, not released yet, I'll reserve judgment
>> until it's actually published. So far, from F-17, I'm afraid the
>> switch to SL 7 is going to pretty painful. The switch to "systemd"
>> instead of "initscripts", and the switch from "/bin" and "/sbin" to
>> "/usr/bin" and "/usr/sbin" for numerous core utilities are going to
>> create a serious burden for people doing cross-platform work. Revising
>> the network component layout is going to be.... even more delightful,
>>
>> The need for more sophisticated tools and discard of some of the
>> complex old hackery is understandable, it's just going to be hard.
>
> The main/only reason that F-18 hasn't been released yet is the
> new-look installer so we can be quite sure that the NM behavior won't
> change by the time that F-18's published.
>
> Although the move to "/usr" and systemd are big "plumbing" changes, I
> suspect that the redesigned installer and gnome-shell will have a
> bigger impact on users. systemd's looking quite good; F-18'll be the
> fourth Fedora release with systemd by default.

I'm a system: it affects several software projects I work with on multiple releases, such as Subversion.

> Oracle beat Fedora to the move to "/usr" with Solaris 11 so if you're
> working cross-platform, SL-7 will be the second "exception" when it's
> released...

Heh. I no longer count Solaris, I dumped it way back when they renamed it from SunOS and Red Hat was just becoming stable enough for real work.

> If I'm understanding you correctly, you're calling the scripts in
> "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/" hackery and I agree. But it's good
> hackery. As a multi-distro user, I wish that all distributions used
> the same hackery...

Amen. But I wish our favorite upstream vendor would use "the same "hackery", instead of mangling the content differently with different front ends, all of which generate distinct content in different formats and remangle it when using even the same front end twice in a row.