SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:12:24 -0500
On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM, José Pablo Méndez Soto
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello geniuses!
>
> I'm running SL carbon here and BIND. There is one piece of software I need
> to install, that is failing as follows:
>
> When I configure its TCP/IP settings, the hostname I give to it is ucm9pub
> (I can't even add the domain name, it rejects the dots). From a packet
> capture I see the response from the DNS server as hostname.domain.ext, and
> that is why I believe the install fails the reverse lookup.
>
> How can I reduce the response from BIND to spit out only the hostname? Like,
> just ucm9pub instead of ucm9pub.domain.ext?
>
> Thanks!

In order for reverse DNS to spit out only the hostname, you'd
basically have to break it nad set up a DNS domain that is just the
short name. It's feasiable to take the out put if "host IPADDRESS" and
parse it to stip off the domain, if it matches.

Why do you want to do this?