SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2012 10:20:42 -0500
On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Jamie Duncan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> "The management tool, "libvirt" and "virt-manager", are a direct violation
> of *EVERY
>
> SINGLE ONE* of the open source GUI guidelines described by Eric
> Raymond in his essay, "The Luxury of Ignorance", including the
> postscript guidelines from me that he added later."
>
> Libvirt isn't a by gui tool. It is a library, and a pretty widely accepted
> standard. ???

You've a point. a further check shows that virt-manager is a distinct
GUI, on top of libvirt. So I should distinguish between them.  But
have you ever tried parsing the output of the core "virsh" tool from
libvirt into something usable for system reporting? It's.... not a
friendly toolkit.

The "virt-install" tools, especially, are part of the "virt-manager"
package. I challenge you to do installations using raw /usr/bin/virsh,
instead of the "virt-install" tools, but those have some serious
problems which virt-manager does not help resolve.

> "*the  upstream vendor's default kernel for 6.3 does not work will bonding,
> VLAN's, and KVM bridges altogether", and needs to be updated by hook
> or by crook before all three can be used together."
>
> This was fixed for RHEL 5 with
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-1081.html

That's an initscripts update for release 5.7. I'm reasonably certain
that it it has little, if anything, to do with the kernel issues with
release 6.3, which is a separate problem successfully resolved by
activating a single network device in VLAN tagging mode (which does
work by itself) and simply updating the kernel for a base 6.3
installation.

I could spend a *lot* of time going and hunting down which component
of the kernel update fixed it, but I don't have those kinds of cycles
to spare right now.

> It was merged into the Fedora kernel at
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=initscripts.git;a=commitdiff;h=b5141c17bfc6ebfdaf440a1d997b7d897e242820

I believe you about release 5.x working well if you tell me you've
gotten it working with all 3 features, pair bonding, VLAN tagging, and
KVM bridging. 2 out of 3 does not count: it really has to be all 3.

                        Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>