SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 17:45:00 -0500
this statement
" (I double checked the network traffic, and even though not using SSL
the password is not transferred over the network in clear-text)"
is wrong
It is clear text that has been base64 encoded unless you are using
gssapi with kerberos 5 or some other encrypted authentication
mechanism. you can mitigate this slightly by using the digest-md5 auth
but all you are doing then is sending the hash of the password in
clear text which isn't that much better

That being said you aren't the first person to be fooled back around
the turn of the century (I love that I get to use that line for the
time period around 2001) there were a lot of "LDAP Experts" that made
the same claim because they never read the RFC for sasl and didn't
recognize base64 when they saw it. There was even one who claimed on
his website that sasl was doing its own ssl encryption till I emailed
him his password from the example on his web site lol.