SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 22:33:12 -0500
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Konstantin Olchanski
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 09:19:05PM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> Since it's packaged as the default from the upstream vendor
>> distribution, and since the "system-config-network" tool from the
>> upstream  vendor provides no ability to access or manipulate this
>> feature or numerous others, ...
>>

> Complaint rejected.
>
> RTFM the "Deployment Guide", section "Networking".
>
> It tells you to use "nm-connection-editor". It even explains all this business
> of "system" and "user" network connections.
>
> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/part-Networking.html

You've apparently read the document. I'll withdraw the complaint that
there is no way to turn it off. But having to install and activate
NetworkManager, and run the X applications to turn off this misfeature
 is..... well, it's not our favorite upstream vendor's proudest
moment. It's particularly problematical on limited environment
features such as KVM servers where you *should not* be running
graphical logins because they suck resources away from more critical
applications.

> P.S. system-config-network is gone, but of late, it was simpler
> to "vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX", and "Look Ma! Vi those
> files directly still works, even with the NetworkManager!"

Unfortunately, ifcfg-eth* is not a reliable convention. KVM bridges,
for example, may be named almost any arbitrary suffix. Pair bonded
devices and wireless devices and PPP connections add other
possibilities: it adds up to confusion.